Secretary of State of the United States (US) Mike Pompeo met King of Saudi Arabia Salman bin Abdulaziz al-Saud and Crown Prince Pa nerd Muhammad bin Salman (SBM), Tuesday (10/16). They discussed the case of the disappearance of journalist Jamal Khashoggi. While in Turkey, police searched the Saudi consulate in Istanbul.
After meeting King Salman, Pompeo met Saudi Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir. He was then scheduled to fly to Turkey.
US President Donald Trump previously speculated that there was a "savage killer" responsible for the disappearance of Khashoggi. Trump revealed this after speaking on the phone with King Salman.
Khashoggi, a Saudi journalist who is now a columnist in the Washington Post, was reported missing when he visited the Saudi Consulate General in Istanbul, Turkey, on October 2. Turkish police officials claimed that Khashoggi had been killed inside the consulate building. However, the accusations were immediately denied by Saudi consulate officials in Istanbul.
Later, the Saudis reportedly would admit to killing Khashoggi. CNN television station reported, the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia will reveal what happened to Khashoggi actually.
The report will conclude that the interrogation operation was carried out illegally and anyone involved will be held accountable. However, there is a possibility that this recognition plan can still change.
Another US mass media, the Wall Street Journal, also reported Khashoggi was killed while being interrogated. In separate news, the New York Times reported Saudi Arabian government officials were drafting scenarios to cover SBM involvement in this case.
Reportedly the scenario would accuse one of Prince's friends who had committed the murder. However, according to the New York Times, the scenario will be made as if SBM had approved the interrogation and asked Khashoggi to be taken home to Saudi Arabia.
The intelligence official who was also a MBS friend wanted to prove himself competent but instead failed to carry out orders. Both CNN and the New York Times used unnamed sources.
The Saudis and Turks themselves have formed a joint investigation team to investigate the Khashoggi case. The search permit finally came out after Turkish President Recey Tayyep Erdogan telephoned King Salman. After the talks, the two praised the formation of a joint Turkish-Saudi Arabian investigation.
The Saudi investigation team had left the consulate building in Istanbul on Tuesday after nine hours of examination. Among the Saudi investigation team, there were also 10 investigators from the Turkish police and a prosecutor investigating the case.
The Turkish news agency, Anadolu Agency, reported, on Monday (15/10), the Saudi authorities had allowed the cleaning team to enter the consulate building. The janitor carries a large amount of chemicals.
However, there was no further information about what the Saudi investigation team was doing in the consulate building. The presence of cleaners with a large amount of chemicals occurred a few hours before the Saudis allowed Turkish investigators to enter the consulate building.
The UK-based human rights group Campaign Against Arms Trade (CAAT) said the investigation by Saudi authorities over the disappearance of Khashoggi could not be trusted. This is related to the many cases of human rights violations committed by the Saudis, including in the Yemeni War.
"The Saudi dictatorship has one of the worst human rights records in the world and cannot be trusted to investigate itself regarding violations," CAAT media coordinator Andrew Smith said on Monday, quoted by al-Araby's website.