Google said it would not rule out the possibility of returning to the Chinese market. Google chief executive Sundar Pichai said he would launch a censored search version of the product in China.
"It's still very awl, we don't know yet whether to do this in China, but it's important for us to explore," Pichai said, as reported by CNN, Tuesday (10/16).
The company openly confirmed the existence of a controversial project during the senate committee meeting at the end of September. The project codenamed 'dragonfly' was first revealed in August.
Google has been working on the project in secret. However, after reports related to the project were revealed, more than 1,000 Google employees signed a letter requesting transparency regarding this matter.
Pichai described Dragonfly as Google's internal exploration project. Google's absence in China, a country that dominates 20 percent of the world's population, weighs heavily on Google. Therefore, the company has a mission to 'bring information to everyone'.
"We want to learn what Google is like in China," Pichai said.
The platform, which still needs approval from the Chinese government, is reported to be blocking certain websites and search terms related to human rights and religion. This has angered some employees who are worried they are not aware of working on technology that will help China suppress freedom of expression.
Earlier this month, US Vice President Mike Pence asked Google to immediately stop work at Dragonfly. "It will strengthen the censorship of the Communist Party and endanger the privacy of Chinese customers," Pence said in a speech.